August 19, 2026 07:49 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

UNICEF calls for a joint vaccination plan in Sudan

| | Oct 07, 2015, at 01:54 pm
New York, Oct 7 (IBNS): Calling for a joint vaccination operational plan in Sudan, the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) on Tuesday outlined the dire situation for thousands of children living in the Nuba Mountains, which remain inaccessible after four years while conflict in the country continues.

Speaking at a press briefing in Geneva, UNICEF Spokesperson Christopher Boulierac said the agency had begun the vaccination campaign in January 2015 when the first outbreaks had been reported. UNICEF, he continued, is urging all parties to the conflict to commit to the joint vaccination operational plan that has been in place over the last three years.

Boulierac said that access for humanitarian aid has not been granted to the three inaccessible areas of the Nuba Mountains, the Blue Nile and the Jebel Mara of North Darfur, and as a result, children there had not been vaccinated.

Currently, he added, UNICEF is “fully operational,” and he hoped the call for a cessation of hostilities would “translate into vaccination of the 165,000 children under the age of five in those inaccessible areas.”

Sudan's children, said Boulierac, continue to be affected by outbreaks of diseases including measles, dengue fever and diarrhoea. He added that it is children that continue to bear the greatest burden as the “double victims” of conflict and chronic under development.

In additional, some two million children were severely and acutely malnourished, and in all 18 states of Sudan, malnutrition rates were over the emergency threshold of 15 per cent.

Boulierac also noted that the UNICEF Sudan humanitarian appeal for 2015 was 72 per cent underfunded. Total funding requirements in 2015 are approximately $ 117 million, of which almost $ 33 million has been received.

Photo: UNAMID/Albert González Farran 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.