August 19, 2026 08:28 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Bangladesh Police arrested a Hindu youth after an alleged Quran-related social media post triggered controversy.
Bangladesh
Representational AI image created by ChatGPT

Bangladesh police arrest Hindu youth over alleged desecration of Holy Quran in Mymensingh

| @indiablooms | May 21, 2026, at 06:19 pm

Dhaka/IBNS: Bangladesh Police arrested a 23-year-old Hindu youth in connection with an alleged incident involving desecration of the Holy Quran in Bangladesh’s Mymensingh district, officials said on Wednesday.

The accused, identified as Shawan Chandra Das, is the son of Sadhan Chandra Das from the Majipara area of Gauripur in Mymensingh.

According to police officials, the controversy began after an allegedly objectionable image connected to the Holy Quran was reportedly shared through the accused’s IMO account, an international messaging and video-calling platform.

Mymensingh Police Superintendent Md Kamru Hasan said the post triggered strong reactions among local residents.

He stated that the accused had gone into hiding after the incident on Tuesday before being arrested by officers from Tejgaon Police Station in Dhaka on Wednesday.

The police official did not provide additional details regarding the content of the post or the legal charges likely to be filed.

Mymensingh district has witnessed multiple incidents involving minority communities, particularly Hindus, in recent years.

Earlier this year, a Hindu businessman identified as Sushen Chandra Sarkar was killed in the Trishal area of the district.

Police said Sarkar failed to return home on the night of February 9, after which family members began searching for him.

According to police officials, he was later found with severe head injuries allegedly caused by a sharp weapon and was declared dead after being taken to Mymensingh Medical College Hospital.

Another incident reported in the district involved the death of Dipu Chandra Das, a garment factory worker who was allegedly lynched by a mob in December 2025 over accusations of blasphemy.

Media reports stated that he was attacked after allegations surfaced regarding a Facebook post considered offensive to religious sentiments.

According to reports published by The Daily Star, investigators later said they found no evidence that the victim had posted material insulting religion online.

Officials from the Rapid Action Battalion reportedly stated that neither local residents nor co-workers could confirm any such activity by the deceased.

Last year, Bangladesh’s interim administration, led by Chief Adviser Muhammad Yunus, released figures relating to incidents involving minority communities and law-and-order issues across the country.

According to the official review of police records, authorities documented 645 incidents involving members of minority communities in 2025.

The figures were compiled from First Information Reports, General Diaries, charge sheets and police investigation records collected nationwide.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.