August 20, 2026 01:18 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Uttarakhand: High Court defers hearing of rebel MLAs' plea to April 11

| | Apr 01, 2016, at 09:19 pm
Nainital, Apr 1 (IBNS) Uttarakhand High Court on Friday deferred till April 11 the date of hearing of a plea challenging disqualification of rebel Congress MLAs from the membership of the state Assembly, reports said.

It is for the second time that the hearing  has been put off  by the single bench of the high court which had earlier posted the matter for hearing today.

Six of the nine rebel Congress MLAs had moved the high court on March 30 challenging their disqualification as members of the House. They said  the Speaker's action came after imposition of president's rule in the state which had put the state Assembly under suspended animation.

The Speaker had disqualified nine Congress MLAs under the anti-defection law hours after imposition of President's rule in the state on March 27,a day before the state government was scheduled to go for a floor test in the state assembly.

A bench headed by Chief Justice K M Joseph on March 30 stayed till April 7 the floor test in the Assembly and posted for final hearing onApril 6 the writ petition filed by ousted Chief Minister Harish Rawat challenging the imposition of President's Rule in the state.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.