August 20, 2026 01:56 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Lashkar eyed Bal Thackeray on two occasions, says David Headley

| | Mar 24, 2016, at 04:27 pm
Mumbai, Mar 24 (IBNS) Deposing before a Mumbai court on Thursday, David Coleman Headley said that terror outfit Lashkar-e-Toiba had targeted the late Shiv Sena leader Balashab Thackeray on two occasions.

The prime accused of 26/11 Mumbai attack, who is being cross examined by the court via video link from an undisclosed US cell, said that while an earlier attempt to kill the Maratha leader was foiled by the police, the person who was apprehended, escaped custody.

Headley was quoted in the media as saying, "From what I recall the accused was held by the police but he later escaped."

His further revelations included the monetary aspect in the whole operation.

Headley  said that it was he and not the Lashkar who paid for the missions. He poured in around 70 lakh rupees in Pakistani currency in the Laskhar account and had never received money for his services from the fringe unit.

The US convict of state, who is serving a 35-year jail term there, had earlier said that the Lashkar generated funds from the ISI and Pakistani Army. He had further stated that both the organisations had asked him to secure men from India to pass on important information regarding the nation.

He had also spoken about his handler, Sajid Mir, and how he was inspired by a speech from Lashkar head Hafeez Saeed about carrying a jihad against India.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.