August 20, 2026 05:08 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Jadavpur erupts again: ABVP-SFI clash, police barricades shattered as fresh tension grips area | Ex-Congress MP and 1984 anti-Sikh riots convict Sajjan Kumar dies while serving life sentence | India hits back at Pakistan: Structures outside High Commission demolished in Delhi | ‘Don’t daydream about my bedroom’: Kangana Ranaut fires back at Ramdev over ‘Gen Z’ row | Jadavpur University erupts at midnight: ABVP-Left student groups clash over meeting, BJP-CPI(M) leaders trade barbs | Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change

Delhi gang-rape: SC rejects petition against release of youngest convict

| | Dec 21, 2015, at 05:12 pm
New Delhi, Dec. 21 (IBNS) The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a petition challenging the release of the youngest of six men found guilty of raping and torturing a medical student on a moving bus in Delhi in 2012, reports said.

he Supreme Court said: "In the absence of any law we can't take away the right of a person. There has to be legislative sanction."


The convict, now 20, was released on Sunday evening from a correctional home. He was treated as a juvenile as per the existing law as he was a minor when the crime took place.

But enraged at his release, hundreds of people, including the parents of the victim, Jyoti Singh, staged protests.

The plea against his release was filed by the Delhi Commission for Women late on Saturday night and reviewed post-midnight.

On Friday, the Delhi High Court refused to stay the convict's release, saying he cannot be kept in further detention by law. The court said he would be monitored by the Juvenile Justice Board with help of an NGO until the Delhi government prepares a post-care plan.

The Centre had also opposed the convict's release. "In principle, the central government opposed the release of the juvenile offender at this stage," Minister of State for Home Kiren Rijiju has said.

The Delhi Commission for Women said in its petition to the Supreme Court that during his stay in the correctional home, the convict showed lack of remorse and had been further radicalised.

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.