August 19, 2026 09:23 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Oppn. targets NDA on Sri Sri's Yamuna show; spiritual guru urges all to not politicise it

| | Mar 09, 2016, at 06:52 pm
New Delhi, Mar 9 (IBNS) The Opposition on Wednesday put the government on the mat in Parliament over the issue of spiritual guru Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's mega cultural event on the Yamuna flood plains even as a green tribunal is likely to pass its verdict on the festival during the day as the Art of Living founder urged parties to not politicise it.

Leading the attack, Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) Rajya Sabha member Sitram Yechury said it is "highly irregular that army has been summoned to assist in a private event" as he referred to pontoon bridges being built by the defence men.

"Can it be done," asked Yechury. 

Janata Dal (United) leader Sharad Yadav said the government should immediately stop the programme. 

Congress lawmaker Ghulam Nabi Azad while attacking the government for using army, said he is not against the cultural festival but what about "environment, biodiversity and ecology of this country."

Union Finance Minister Arun Jaitley said the matter is being heard by National Green Tribunal (NGT). "Will the matter be heard here or the NGT," he retorted to the Opposition.

Jaitley said when a parallel proceeding is on in court, how it can be raised in the house. 

Meanwhile, in a tweet, Sri Sri asked all to not politicise the event.

"I appeal to all parties to not politicize the #WCF2016. It is to unite all cultures, nations, religions & ideologies. Let's come together!" he posted.

India's top green court here will decide Wednesday whether Art of Living supremo Sri Sri Ravi Shankar's mega event on the flood plains of the river Yamuna will be allowed this weekend even as experts examining the venue said  Rs. 100 crore should be paid as damage for destroying the environment. 

The National Green Tribunal is likely to give a verdict on the World Culture Festival organised by Sri Sri and scheduled to be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Professor CR Babu, appointed by the National Green Tribunal to review the site, told NDTV that extensive damage has been caused to the region and "100-120 crores will be required to undo the damage and Art of Living must pay that money as penalty."

The event also raised a row over Indian Army personnel being deployed to construct pontoon bridges for the mass festival of the religious guru. 

The Delhi government earlier told the tribunal hearing the environmentalists' plea on Tuesdayabout holding the World Culture Festival on the Yamuna floodplains that no police or fire safety clearance has been given for the event.

The National Green Tribunal (NGT) has also questioned the Environment Ministry if the alteration of the floodplains requires the ministry's clearance or not, according to reports.

The NGT has also posed some tough questions to the Delhi Development Authority (DDA), who had earlier given permission for the holding of the event, reported a news channel.

Art of Living's lawyer Akashama Nath argued that they got the permission of 30 departments and ministries for the event and they have not done a study on environment because they have not been asked for it by the ministry.  

The event, which will be held from Mar 11, is planned on Yamuna floods plains of Delhi.

Saying the event might cause damage to the Yamuna ecosystem, several NGOs and environmental activists have moved the NGT.

President Pranab Mukherjee will not attend the festival following the controversy.

According to the  Art of Living Foundation website: "The World Culture Festival 2016 is a celebration of The Art of Living's 35 years ofservice to humanity, spirituality and human values. It will take place on March 11-13, 2016 in New Delhi, India."

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.