August 19, 2026 09:57 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Japan volcano toll rises to 36

| | Sep 29, 2014, at 07:30 pm
Tokyo, Sept 29 (IBNS): The death toll in the Mount Ontake volcano in Central Japan rose to 36 on Monday with five more bodies being recovered from the site as the rescue operations are called off by the authorities due to release of toxic gases from the pit, media reported.

According to reports, there were at least 150 hikers on the mountain at the time when volcano erupted without any warning.

About 30 hikers were rescued in critical condition during two days.

"The climbers were found when rescue operations resumed after fears of fresh eruptions and toxic gas prevented rescue efforts on Saturday," Japanese News Agency Kyodo reported on Sunday.

More than 500 rescuers had been combing the summit, ploughing through knee-deep ash.

But on Monday the authorities abandoned the rescue mission after levels of toxic gas increased which forced the rescuers to climb down the mountain.

Now that the rescue mission has been called off, the fate of the missing hikers is more of less sealed.

It is expected that the death toll will rise once the bodies of the missing hikers are recovered.

Mount Ontake in central Japan erupted shortly before noon (Japanese local time) on Saturday, releasing large white plumes of gas and ash high into the sky.

The eruption of the 3,067-metre (10,062-feet) volcano, 200 km (125 miles) west of Tokyo, took place as the popular hiking site was packed with climbers, including children.

Hikers said there was no warning of Saturday's eruption.

Ontake, Japan's second-highest active volcano last had a minor eruption seven years ago.

Its last major eruption, the first on record, was in 1979.

Japan is one of the world's most seismically active nations.

In 1991, 43 people died in a pyroclastic flow, a superheated current of gas and rock, at Mount Unzen in the southwest.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday has expressed sadness at the volcanic eruption of Mount Ontake in Japan.

"News of a volcanic eruption at Mount Ontake in Japan is quite saddening. My prayers with the affected," the Prime Minister said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.