August 19, 2026 09:47 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
ISIS
American soldiers. Photo: US Centcom/X

Who is Bilal Hasan al-Jasim? ISIS-linked terrorist killed in U.S. operation in Syria

| @indiablooms | Jan 18, 2026, at 07:49 pm

The United States on Sunday said it conducted a strike in northwest Syria that killed a senior Al-Qaeda leader.

The slain Al-Qaeda leader has been identified as Bilal Hasan al-Jasim.

U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) said the militant had direct ties to an ISIS gunman responsible for an ambush on December 13, 2025, which killed two U.S. service members and an American interpreter.

In a statement posted on X, CENTCOM identified the slain militant as Bilal Hasan al-Jasim, describing him as “an experienced terrorist leader who plotted attacks and was directly connected with the ISIS gunman who killed and injured American and Syrian personnel last month in Palmyra, Syria.”

Admiral Brad Cooper, CENTCOM commander, said: “The death of a terrorist operative linked to the deaths of three Americans demonstrates our resolve in pursuing terrorists who attack our forces. There is no safe place for those who conduct, plot, or inspire attacks on American citizens and our warfighters. We will find you.”

The operation, dubbed Hawkeye Strike, involved U.S. and partner forces targeting more than 100 ISIS infrastructure and weapons sites with over 200 precision munitions.

CENTCOM noted that, over the past year, U.S. and partner forces have captured more than 300 ISIS operatives and killed over 20 militants across Syria, significantly disrupting networks that posed direct threats to the United States and regional security.

Last week, the US launched large-scale retaliatory strikes against the Islamic State (IS) in Syria, following last month’s ambush in Palmyra.

The strikes targeted multiple IS positions across Syria.

The operation was carried out jointly with partner forces, though US officials did not specify which partners were involved.

The Palmyra attack, which killed Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard—both members of the Iowa National Guard—and civilian interpreter Ayad Mansoor Sakat.

The Trump administration has named the campaign Operation Hawkeye Strike. It began on December 19 with an earlier wave of airstrikes that hit about 70 Islamic State targets across central Syria, including weapons depots and infrastructure.

A day before the latest strikes, Syrian authorities announced the arrest of the military leader overseeing IS operations in the Levant, signalling increased pressure on the extremist group.

For years, the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) have been Washington’s primary partner in the fight against IS.

However, since the ouster of former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad in December 2024, the US has increasingly coordinated counter-terrorism operations with Syria’s central government in Damascus.

Syria has recently joined the global coalition against the Islamic State, marking a significant shift in regional cooperation against the group.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.