August 19, 2026 06:30 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

WHO dispatches team to Seoul after fourth death reported from MERS

| | Jun 06, 2015, at 03:17 pm
New York, Jun 6 (IBNS): The World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday announced that in light of the outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus, or MERS-CoV, resulting in four deaths in the Republic of Korea, it will send a team to Seoul to conduct a joint mission to look into the situation and assess public health response efforts.

“Based on current data and WHO’s risk assessment, there is no evidence to suggest sustained human-to-human transmission in communities and no evidence of airborne transmission,” WHO said in a press release.

It said, “However, MERS-CoV is a relatively new disease and information gaps are considerable.”

“The joint mission will bring us a step closer to gaining a better understanding of the nature of this virus,” it said.

WHO spokesman Christian Lindmeier told reporters at the UN briefing in Geneva, Switzerland, that so far, 41 cases of MERS-CoV in China and the Republic of Korea, including 4 deaths, had been reported.

The global figures now stand at 1,193, including 446 deaths, a total made up not only by cases in the Republic of Korea and China, but also by Middle Eastern countries, such as Saudi Arabia, according to Lindmeier.

In the press release, WHO said that in light of the recent MERS-CoV outbreak, the agency and the Republic of Korea’s Ministry of Health and Welfare will conduct a joint mission in the Republic of Korea.

“The pressing objective of this joint mission is to gain information and review the situation in the Republic of Korea including the epidemiological pattern, the characteristic of the virus and clinical features,” it said.

It added, “The team will also assess the public health response efforts and provide recommendations for response measures going forward.”

The WHO team will be led by Assistant Director-General for Health Security, Dr Keiji Fukuda, and be comprised of experts in epidemiology, virology, clinical management, infection prevention and control, as well as public health officers who have previously handled other MERS-CoV outbreaks in the Middle East.

Since the outbreak, WHO said it has been working closely with the Ministry of Health and Welfare and the Korea Centres for Disease Control and Prevention on response measures.

“Given the lack of evidence of sustained human-to-human transmission in the community, WHO does not advise special procedures at points of entry, or travel or trade restrictions with regard to this event,” the press release said.

Photo: Violaine Martin

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.