August 19, 2026 08:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
US-Iran
US military conducts new strikes on South Iran amid peace talks. Photo: ChatGPT recreated

US military conducts new strikes on South Iran amid ceasefire: Reports

| @indiablooms | May 26, 2026, at 09:27 am

The United States military said it carried out “self-defense strikes” on Iranian missile launch sites and boats near the Strait of Hormuz on Monday, amid an ongoing ceasefire between the two nations, according to media reports.

The strikes came even as diplomatic efforts continue to secure a lasting agreement between the two sides.

“U.S. forces conducted self-defense strikes in southern Iran today to protect our troops from threats posed by Iranian forces,” CENTCOM spokesperson Timothy Hawkins told CNN in a statement, responding to reports of explosions near the Strait of Hormuz.

“Targets included missile launch sites and Iranian boats attempting to emplace mines. U.S. Central Command continues to defend our forces while exercising restraint during the ongoing ceasefire,” he added.

Also Read: Donald Trump adds Abraham Accords demand to Iran nuclear deal talks

Iran has not officially responded to the strikes so far.

It remains unclear what impact the latest military action will have on the ongoing peace talks between the two nations, which have been locked in conflict since February 28.

Commenting on possible progress in negotiations, US Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters in New Delhi, as quoted by the BBC: “We’ll see if we can make progress. There’s a lot of back-and-forth over specific language in the initial document, so it may take a few more days.”

Earlier, US President Donald Trump reiterated his position on Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile in a post on Truth Social.

“The enriched uranium (nuclear dust) will either be immediately turned over to the United States to be brought home and destroyed or, preferably, destroyed in place in coordination with the Islamic Republic of Iran, or at another mutually acceptable location, with the Atomic Energy Commission, or its equivalent, overseeing the process,” Trump wrote.


Meanwhile, an Iranian delegation led by Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf has travelled to Doha as part of ongoing diplomatic efforts mediated by Pakistan in recent weeks to help bring an end to the US-Israeli-imposed war on Iran, according to Iran’s state news agency IRNA.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.