May 18, 2026 08:28 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

UNESCO chief condemns 'despicable murder' of US journalist in Syria

| | Sep 04, 2014, at 02:58 pm
New York, Sept 4 (IBNS) The head of the UN agency mandated to defend press freedom on Wednesday expressed shock at the killing of American journalist Steven Sotloff and called for the immediate release of all civilian hostages held by militant groups in Syria.

“I condemn deeply the execution of Steven Sotloff,” said UNESCO Director-General, Irina Bokova in a statement to the press in which she also expressed her heartfelt condolences to  Sotloff’s family and friends.

Sotloff, 31, was a freelance journalist who worked for a number of leading United States publications including Time magazine and World Affairs. He was kidnapped in Aleppo, Syria, last summer.

“Steven Sotloff – like James Foley who was murdered in an equally despicable manner two weeks ago – was a brave man who worked as a journalist committed to telling the world what was happening on the ground,” said  Bokova.

It is outrageous that these “brave professionals, who are driven by their desire to find out how people are affected by war and share their stories with the world, should suffer such inhumane treatment,” said the Director-General.

Governments must strengthen the safety of journalists by ensuring that those responsible for such violence are held accountable, she urged.

Last month, the UN Security Council strongly condemned the “heinous and cowardly” murder of American journalist James Foley by the militant group Islamic State (IS) and stressed that those responsible for the killing must be held accountable.

According to UNESCO, more than 430 journalists have been killed between 2007 and 2012. The UN agency maintains a webpage dedicated to condemning the killing of journalists, in line with Resolution 29, adopted by its Member States in 1997.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.