May 18, 2026 05:22 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

UN voices concern after Australia returns asylum-seekers intercepted at sea to Sri Lanka

| | Jul 08, 2014, at 06:40 am
New York, July 8 (IBNS): The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) on Monday voiced deep concern after Australia handed over some 41 asylum-seekers to Sri Lanka after intercepting them at sea, and highlighted its unease with shipboard processing of protection clai

The agency said it is also concerned about the fate of another 153 asylum-seekers of Sri Lankan origin who are now subject to an Australian High Court injunction on their return.

In a news release, UNHCR said it understands that “enhanced screening procedures” were used as a basis for determining whether the 41 individuals involved raised claims for protection which required further consideration.

“Without further information UNHCR is not in a position, at this time, to confirm whether they were in accordance with international law,” the agency stated.

“UNHCR has previously made known its concerns to Australia about its enhanced screening procedures and their non-compliance with international law.”

According to media reports, the 41 Sri Lankans were intercepted by Australia’s border patrol off the Cocos Islands in the Indian Ocean in late June. They were handed over to the Sri Lankan Government on Sunday after their refugee claims were assessed at sea and rejected.

“UNHCR’s experience over the years with shipboard processing has generally not been positive. Such an environment would rarely afford an appropriate venue for a fair procedure,” said the agency.

The principle of non-refoulement – the prohibition on the forced return of a person to a country where his or her life or freedom would be threatened – in the 1951 Refugee Convention and more broadly under customary international law is clear, UNHCR pointed out.

“It applies wherever an asylum-seeker is found and to whatever manner the expulsion or return is carried out, including during interception and other sea operations,” the agency stated.

“UNHCR does not object to the returns of persons properly found not to be in need of international protection, but considers anyone claiming asylum has a right to have their case properly assessed by qualified personnel in accordance with the necessary procedural and legal safeguards.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.