August 19, 2026 10:05 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Photo: UNHCR/B. Diab

UN provides aid to besieged Syrians in eastern Aleppo

| | Apr 10, 2014, at 05:21 pm
New York, Apr 10 (IBNS): The United Nations refugee agency and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) said on Wednesday it managed to bring humanitarian aid to a besieged neighbourhood in eastern Aleppo, an area that had been cut off from assistance since last June.
The “rare and risky” operation to deliver aid to Boustan al Qaser was carried out following agreement with the Syrian Government and the opposition, according to a news release issued by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
 
Two trucks packed with blankets, plastic sheeting, hygiene kits, and kitchen sets and food were offloaded at the last checkpoint at the outskirts of the city.
 
The goods were then transported into the community using 54 pull-carts and 75 workers, back and forth, 1.5 kilometres each way and in 270 trips, for later distribution to a SARC warehouse and then soon to the needy population.
 
“A ceasefire, agreed for the duration of the operation, was fully respected by all parties,” said UNHCR.
 
The agency’s staff observed a dire humanitarian situation inside eastern Aleppo, noting an acute shortage of food, water, medicine and basic supplies.
 
UNHCR said it had last accessed the area in June 2013 and no humanitarian aid has reached the population there since then.
 
It is estimated that some 6.5 million of Syria’s 22 million people have been displaced inside the country, while another 2.6 million are now refugees, mainly in neighbouring countries. The humanitarian situation continues to deteriorate as the conflict that began in March 2011 between the Government and opposition groups continues unabated.
 
Humanitarian appeals for Syria and the region remain severely underfunded, according to the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Aid groups working in Syria and in countries housing Syrian refugees have received only 20 per cent of the $6.5 billion they need in 2014. They still require $5.3 billion.
 
 
(Amid the destruction of war, the UNHCR flag is carried forward during a ceasefire in Aleppo, Syria, that allowed the delivery of desperately needed humanitarian aid. Photo: UNHCR/B. Diab)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.