August 19, 2026 05:41 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

UN condemns killing of Chilean peacekeeper in Haiti

| | Apr 15, 2015, at 05:32 pm
New York, Apr 15 (IBNS): The United Nations called for a swift investigation into the shooting death of a Chilean peacekeeper in Haiti whose killing prompted strong condemnations from the UN mission on the ground as well as the Secretary-General and Security Council at the world body's Headquarters.

The Chilean soldier of the UN Mission for Stabilization in Haiti (MINUSTAH), Second Sergeant Rodrigo Andres Sanhueza Soto succumbed to fatal injuries from a gunshot wound he received on Monday when his military vehicle was fired upon by violent protesters in the area of Ouanaminthe.

A UN team was immediately dispatched to the location to ascertain the facts and circumstances of the shooting, according to MINUSTAH.

Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday called for a swift investigation and urged the Haitian authorities to do everything possible to bring those responsible to justice.

His Special Representative in Haiti, Sandra Honoré, offered UN police support in this regard and called for the perpetrator to be brought to justice without delay.

“Armed violence is a criminal act which not only endangers people’s security but also the gains in peace and stability which the Haitian population has achieved so far,” Honoré said.

“The Mission continues to urge all Haitian stakeholders, civil society, political, religious and community leaders to continuously work against violence in all its forms,” she said.

She added, “As Haiti enters the 2015 electoral period, a climate of peace is in the interest of all.”

In New York, members of the UN Security Council issued a statement saying they looked forward to the completion of a full and comprehensive investigation to determine the facts and circumstances of the incident.

Both the Secretary-General and the Security Council expressed their deepest sympathy to the family of the fallen peacekeeper, as well as to the Government and people of Chile.

Photo: UN/MINUSTAH/Victoria Hazou

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.