August 19, 2026 12:43 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Ukraine ceasefire exists 'in name only,' UN political chief tells Security Council

| | Jan 22, 2015, at 03:46 pm
New York, Jan 22 (IBNS) After weeks of relative calm, the United Nations political chief said the Security Council was meeting on Wednesday amid the ‘worst hostilities’ in eastern Ukraine since the Minsk Protocol was agreed on 5 September, with the urgently needed sustainable ceasefire presently existing in name only.

Briefing the Council on conflict-related developments and his visit to the country in December, Jeffrey Feltman said that while fighting had been initially concentrated around Donetsk airport, fighting is spreading throughout the Donetsk and Luhansk regions, reaching heavily populated civilian areas and inching dangerously close to Mariupol and Debaltseve.

“Encouraging signs of progress, such as the exchange of hundreds of prisoners, are quickly being overshadowed by renewed fighting and a deepening political stalemate,” said Feltman “Ukraine, as well as its neighbours and the broader region, cannot afford the current, violent status quo. The escalation of fighting threatens to unravel the Minsk Protocols.”

Intensification of the conflict had caused further deterioration of the humanitarian situation, Feltman said, stressing the importance of funding the 2015 Strategic Response Plan, which needed $189 million but had few commitments so far.

He also stressed that all parties to the conflict should guarantee free and unhindered humanitarian access to all people in need, irrespective of where they are located. A recent directive referring to movement between government-held to rebel-held areas could make movement of humanitarian actors harder, especially to areas beyond government control.

“Humanitarian actors must have access to do their life-saving work,” Feltman said. “A country which until a year ago had no displaced people now has at least 850,000 citizens displaced within its borders and over 600,000 in neighbouring states, according to Ukrainian sources.”


Image: UN Photo/Devra Berkowitz (file)
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.