August 19, 2026 08:28 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
UAE orders arrest of 19 Indians for misleading posts on West Asia war. Photo: ChatGPT.

UAE orders arrest of 35, including 19 Indians, over ‘misleading’ war-related social media posts

| @indiablooms | Mar 17, 2026, at 12:27 am

Authorities in the United Arab Emirates have ordered the arrest of 35 individuals, including 19 Indians, for allegedly sharing misleading or fabricated videos on social media amid the ongoing Middle East conflict triggered by joint strikes by the United States and Israel on Iran last month.

Officials said the suspects will face an expedited trial after investigations found they had circulated manipulated footage and misleading narratives linked to the regional tensions.

The action came in two phases. Authorities first ordered the arrest of 10 individuals, including two Indians, on Saturday.

A second order listed 25 more suspects of different nationalities, including 17 Indians, bringing the total to 35.

In a statement, UAE Attorney-General Hamad Saif Al Shamsi said the arrests followed extensive monitoring of digital platforms to curb the spread of fabricated information and AI-generated content that could incite public panic or threaten national stability.

According to the statement carried by the UAE’s official news agency WAM (Emirates News Agency), investigators found that the accused were divided into three groups based on the type of content they circulated.

The first group of 10 people — including five Indians along with citizens of Pakistan, Nepal, the Philippines and Egypt — allegedly shared authentic videos showing missiles passing through or being intercepted in UAE airspace.

Authorities said the clips were accompanied by commentary and sound effects suggesting active attacks, potentially causing public anxiety.

A second group of seven individuals — including five Indians — was accused of publishing fabricated videos created using artificial intelligence or recycling footage from incidents outside the UAE while falsely claiming they occurred inside the country.

The clips reportedly showed explosions and missile strikes with added elements such as national flags and dates to make them appear credible.

The third group, comprising six people — five Indians and one Pakistani — allegedly posted content praising Iran’s leadership and military actions and portraying them as achievements during the conflict.

Two other individuals, both Indians, were also charged with similar offences.

Earlier on Saturday, prosecutors had said the initial group circulated AI-generated footage falsely depicting explosions, attacks on prominent landmarks and fires in various parts of the UAE.

Under UAE law, spreading misinformation or fabricated content that threatens public order can lead to at least one year in prison and a fine of no less than AED 100,000.

Officials said the suspects also exploited emotional themes in some videos, including content involving children that falsely suggested security threats or destruction of military facilities in the country.

The crackdown comes as tensions in the region remain high. Gulf countries, including the UAE, reported new security alerts after Iran warned neighbouring states and accused the United States of using facilities in the UAE to launch strikes on Kharg Island, the main terminal for Iranian oil exports.

Meanwhile, Donald Trump has called on allied countries to send warships to help secure the vital Strait of Hormuz as the conflict shows no signs of easing.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.