August 19, 2026 10:10 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Venezuela Oil
US President Donald Trump. Photo: Wikimedia Commons/Flickr/The White House

Trump says Venezuela to deliver up to 50 million barrels of oil to US — Proceeds ‘under my control’

| @indiablooms | Jan 07, 2026, at 10:44 am

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday announced the 'interim government' in Venezuela will sell 30 million to 50 million barrels of "high quality" oil to the US at its market price.

Trump said the money would be controlled by him and it would be used to benefit the people of Venezuela and the US.

In his Truth Social page, Trump said: "I am pleased to announce that the Interim Authorities in Venezuela will be turning over between 30 and 50 MILLION Barrels of High Quality, Sanctioned Oil, to the United States of America."

"This Oil will be sold at its Market Price, and that money will be controlled by me, as President of the United States of America, to ensure it is used to benefit the people of Venezuela and the United States," the President said.

"I have asked Energy Secretary Chris Wright to execute this plan, immediately. It will be taken by storage ships, and brought directly to unloading docks in the United States. Thank you for your attention to this matter," he said.

According to reports, Venezuela sits on about a fifth of the world's oil reserves.

Meanwhile, deposed Venezuelan leader Nicolas Maduro pleaded not guilty to federal drug trafficking charges in a U.S. court on Monday, declaring himself “innocent” and claiming that he had been kidnapped by the American military.

“I’m innocent. I am not guilty. I am a decent man, the president of my country,” Maduro told the judge during his first appearance in a U.S. courtroom.

Maduro and his wife were captured by the US special forces during a stunning raid in Caracas recently.

Maduro, wearing a blue jail uniform, appeared alongside his wife for the brief procedural hearing, marking the formal start of what is expected to be a prolonged legal battle over whether he can be tried in the United States.

Both used headsets to follow the proceedings through Spanish translation.

The former Venezuelan president was transported under heavy security from a Brooklyn detention facility early Monday morning.

Maduro faces narco-terrorism and drug trafficking charges that the Trump administration cited as justification for his capture in Caracas and transfer to New York.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.