May 18, 2026 07:34 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Tourism: 'Hurt' China looking to inflict pain on South Korea

| | Jul 12, 2017, at 07:30 pm
Beijing/ Seoul, Jul 12 (IBNS): Seemingly 'hurt' by South Korea's 'indulgence' in allowing the US to deploy the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system in their country, China has banned all its tour operators from selling packaged tours to the neighbouring nation, media reports said.

The move can cause a drop in their tourism, media reports quoted South Korean officials as saying.

With the ban in place, the Korean Tourism Organisation (KTO) has predicted a drop of 27 percent in tourist footfalls, compared to last year, the reports said.

Korea is expected to lose around 4.7 million foreign tourists due to the embargo.

The Chinese travelers alone makes up Korea's 46.8 percent tourist population, which when taken out of the equation, is expected to cause a serious damage to the tourism industry.

"With the current trend, South Korea's tourism industry could enter a long-term depression," a KTO officer told the local Yonhap news agency.

The embargo started after South Korea allowed US to implement the defence system.

The Chinese complained that though the US have implemented the defence system in order to avert threat from North Korea, its powerful radar can penetrate Beijing and meddle with China's security.   

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.