August 19, 2026 10:37 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Strongly condemning murder of missing Israeli teens, UN chief urges calm on all sides

| | Jul 01, 2014, at 03:36 pm
New York, July 1 (IBNS): Strongly condemning the murder of three Israeli teenagers abducted in mid-June in the West Bank, UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Monday declared that the perpetrators’ attempts to stoke tensions in the region "must not be allowed to succeed", expressing hope that Israeli’s and Palestinians will work together to uncover the truth.

In a statement issued by his spokesperson in New York, the Secretary-General condemned “in the strongest terms” the murder of the three Israeli teenagers abducted on 12 June in the West Bank. According to news reports, the Israeli military said it found three bodies northwest of Hebron earlier on Monday.

“There can be no justification for the deliberate killing of civilians,” said the statement, noting that  Ban hopes Israeli and Palestinian authorities will work together to bring the perpetrators swiftly to justice, and extends his deepest sympathy to the families of the victi

The statement said the UN chief believes this heinous act by enemies of peace aims to further entrench division and distrust and to widen the conflict, and must not be allowed to succeed. “He calls on all parties to abide by their obligations under international law and to refrain from any actions that could further escalate this highly tense situation,” it concluded.

Just on Sunday, ahead of farewell meeting in New York with outgoing Israeli President Shimon Peres, the Secretary-General underscored the United Nations strong solidarity with Israel and stressed the need to avoid an escalation of tensions in the wake of the abductions.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.