August 19, 2026 10:08 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
CAR
Image: MINUSCA/Hervé Serefio

Spare no effort in probe into attack against blue helmets in CAR: Antonio Guterres

| @indiablooms | Nov 06, 2021, at 06:37 pm

New York: UN Secretary-General António Guterres has urged authorities in the Central African Republic (CAR) to spare no effort in investigating the “unacceptable attack” earlier this week by the presidential guard against a vehicle from the UN mission in the country, MINUSCA.

Ten unarmed Egyptian “blue helmets”, who were newly deployed to the mission, were injured in the incident, which occurred in the capital, Bangui, on Monday. 

The peacekeepers had arrived at M’Poko International Airport as part of the periodic rotation and deployment of troops in the country.  They were heading to their base when they came under heavy fire from the presidential guard, MINUSCA said in a statement that day.

While attempting to withdraw from the area, located some 120 metres from the presidential residence, their bus accidentally struck and killed a woman bystander.

Strong condemnation

The UN chief has strongly condemned the attack, his Spokesperson Stéphane Dujarric said in a statement issued on Thursday.

“The Secretary-General emphasizes that attacks against United Nations peacekeepers may constitute a war crime,” said Mr. Dujarric. 

“He calls on the Central African authorities to spare no effort in investigating and promptly holding accountable the perpetrators of this unacceptable attack.” 

The Secretary-General wished a speedy and full recovery to the wounded peacekeepers and also expressed his deepest condolences to the family of the civilian killed during the incident.

Mr. Guterres also underlined his gratitude to the people and Government of Egypt for their contribution to peace and stability in the CAR. 

More than 14,000 uniformed personnel are serving at MINUSCA, which has been in the country since 2014, following deadly violence between mainly Christian and mainly Muslim militias.

The Secretary-General also reaffirmed the UN’s solidarity and continued support to the CAR. 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.