August 19, 2026 10:04 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Senior UN officials condemn attack on Somali parliament

| | May 25, 2014, at 06:13 am
New York, May 24 (IBNS) United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his special representative in Somalia, Nicholas Kay, on Saturday condemned an attack by suicide bombers and gunmen on the Federal Parliament, in the capital Mogadishu, where legislators were in session.

“There can be no justification for such attacks,”  Ban said in a statement from his spokesperson.

He convoyed his solidarity and support for the lawmakers “who represent the people of Somalia and their aspirations for a peaceful future”, according to the statement.

Kay, who heads the UN Assistance Mission, (UNSOM) in the country, said separately that the UN will continue to support the Somali people and their Government as they work towards “peace and stability” in the Horn of Africa nation.

Earlier in the day, he had spoken with Prime Minister Abdiweli Sheikh Ahmed to express his solidarity and sincere condolences to the families and friends of those who suffered in the attack and wished a swift recovery for those injured.

The senior UN officials also commended the “prompt action” by Somali National Forces and African Union peacekeeping forces (AMISOM) to stop the attack. Al-Shabaab insurgents have since claimed responsibility.

At least six attackers and one of the soldiers fighting them were killed, according to media reports.

In April, Al-Shabaab claimed responsibility for killing two parliamentarians in Mogadishu in less than 48 hours.

Earlier this week,  Kay told the UN Security Council in a video-conference from the capital city that despite political, economic and security progress in the last 12 months, the country was approaching a “danger zone” in a number of areas, including insecurity.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.