August 19, 2026 05:54 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis
North Korea
Image: Pixabay

North Korea fires two ballistic missiles: Reports

| @indiablooms | Jan 17, 2022, at 08:03 pm

Seoul/UNI: North Korea on Monday fired two suspected short-range ballistic missiles eastward from an airfield in the capital city, the South Korea's military claimed.

According to Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS), the military detected the launch in the morning from Pyongyang's Sunan airport.

"Currently, our military is tracking and monitoring related (North Korean) movements and maintaining a readiness posture," the JCS said.

Reacting to the latest launches, the US Indo-Pacific Command said, "We are aware of the ballistic missile launches" but assessed the latest event "does not pose an immediate threat to U.S. personnel or territory or to our allies," Yonhap reported.

"These missile launches highlight the destabilizing impact of the DPRK's illicit weapons program. The US commitment to the defense of the Republic of Korea and Japan remains ironclad," it added.

The latest launch came just three days after the North launched two suspected short-range ballistic missiles into the East Sea that it later claimed to be guided missiles fired by a railway-borne regiment during a firing drill, Yohnap News Agency said in a report.

The North had test-fired its self-proclaimed hypersonic missile on January 5 and on Tuesday last week, ratcheting up tensions amid an impasse in nuclear negotiations with the US, the South Korean News Agency said.

Last week, Pyongyang had issued warning of a "stronger and certain reaction" to the recent sanctions by US on six North Koreans for their involvement in the regime's weapons of mass destruction and ballistic missile programmes.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.