August 19, 2026 08:58 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

North Korea announces it has conducted hydrogen bomb test

| | Jan 06, 2016, at 03:08 pm
Seoul, Jan 6 (IBNS) North Korea on Wednesday claimed that it has successfully tested a hydrogen bomb.

State media has made the announcement on the test.

The country made the announcement after a 5.1 magnitude earthquake was detected close to nuclear test site.

According to USGS website, an earthquake measuring 5.1 on the Richter Scale hit North Korea with the epicentre being 19 kms east-north-east of North Korea's Sungjibaegam town.

Japan and South Korea earlier in the day   claimed that the earthquake which hit  North Korea on Wednesday might be the result of a nuclear test conducted by the nation.

Kyodo News of Japan reported: "The Japanese government said there is a possibility that the seismic event was caused by a nuclear test and that it is gathering and analyzing information."

South Korea has called it an 'artificial quake'.

"Considering the waveform and the amplitude of the earthquake, it seems certain that it was an artificial quake," a  South Korean meteorological administration official was quoted as saying by Yonhap News Agency.

"(We are) going through a thorough analysis based on the high possibility of it being a nuke test," the official said.

 

Image: Wikimedia Commons
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.