August 19, 2026 10:18 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Mi'kmaq protesters block natural gas storage site in Nova Scotia

| | Sep 27, 2016, at 03:10 am
Fort Ellis, Sept 26 (IBNS): Mi'kmaq protesters recently blocked the entrance of a construction site near the upcoming underground natural gas storage caverns in Nova Scotia.

Almost 20 people grouped together near the Alton project in Fort Ellis, close to a small island where the tidal Shubenacadie River meets a channel in which briny water is to be discharged.

The discharging of the water from the underground caverns as planned by AltaGas Ltd. (TSX:ALA) is a concern among the protesters as they say natives have a treaty right to be on a small island in the area for fishing purposes.

The latest protest follows after opponents headed to the island earlier this month over concerns about increased salinity in the river that could pose a risk to some fish species.

Cheryl Maloney, president of the Nova Scotia Native Women's Association, says they will remain at the site indefinitely and want to discuss the project with the premier.

The company says the project has received all needed environmental and industrial approvals for the storage project, following over eight years of scientific monitoring of the tidal river

(Reporting by Canada desk)
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.