August 19, 2026 08:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
MEA
Photo: Wikimedia Commons

MEA condemns attack on vessel off Oman, says one of 11 Indian crew member missing

| @indiablooms | Jul 12, 2026, at 03:12 pm

New Delhi: India said one of 11 Indian crew members aboard a commercial vessel attacked off the coast of Oman remained missing after 10 others were rescued as New Delhi condemned the attack and called for an immediate de-escalation of regional tensions.

India's Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) said in a statement its embassy in Oman was coordinating closely with Omani authorities as search-and-rescue operations continued following the attack on the GFS Galaxy.

The ministry said 10 of the 11 Indian nationals on board had been rescued, while one remained unaccounted for.

"We condemn the attack on the commercial vessel GFS Galaxy off the coast of Oman," the ministry said in a statement, thanking Omani authorities for their support in the rescue effort.

The MEA described the continuing attacks on commercial shipping in the region as "deeply worrisome" and renewed its call for an immediate de-escalation of tensions.

It also urged all parties to conclude ongoing diplomatic negotiations, saying attacks on commercial shipping and civilian infrastructure must end and that free and unimpeded navigation through international waterways should be restored in accordance with international law.

The Indian ministry did not identify those responsible for the attack.

The statement came hours after the U.S. Central Command (CENTCOM) accused Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) of attacking the Cyprus-flagged container ship GFS Galaxy as it transited the Strait of Hormuz.

CENTCOM said the attack left one civilian crew member missing and caused an onboard fire and significant engine room damage, rendering the vessel unable to continue its voyage.

The U.S. military said it had begun a third round of strikes against Iran in response to what it described as repeated attacks on commercial shipping in the region.

CENTCOM said the strikes were intended to degrade Iran's ability to target civilian mariners and commercial vessels after Tehran allegedly failed to adhere to previous commitments to halt such attacks.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.