August 19, 2026 12:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Mali: UN mission wards off rebel attack; urges armed groups to respect ceasefire

| | Jan 22, 2015, at 03:42 pm
New York, Jan 22 (IBNS) The United Nations Mission in Mali (MINUSMA) has confirmed it used force in response to machine gun fire directed at its troops and towards the town inhabited by civilians, on Tuesday in Tabankort, in the restive north of the country.

The attack was carried out with a heavy-vehicle mounted machine gun belonging to the Mouvement national de libération de l’Azawad (MNLA), a UN spokesman told reporters in New York this afternoon.

Farhan Haq said that before engaging, MINUSMA fired warning shots at the vehicle which went unheeded. In accordance with its mandate to protect civilians, its personnel and its assets against imminent threat, MINUSMA then targeted the vehicle, disabling it.

Following tensions in Tabankort since the beginning of the month, the Mission has repeatedly reminded all armed groups of their obligation to respect the ceasefire agreement they signed on 23rd of May 2014. The UN reiterates its call to all parties to immediately cease hostilities and respect their ceasefire commitments, said the spokesperson.

MINUSMA also reported that public demonstrations have taken place in Ber and Kidal since on Tuesday  to protest the Mission's action in Tabankort. The demonstrations have now ended.

This attack is the latest in a recent spate of violence targeting UN peacekeepers in Mali. Briefing the Security Council earlier this month, the Under-Secretary-General for UN Peacekeeping Operations, Hervé Ladsous, said ‘no Mission has paid as much in terms of blood’ and that MINUSMA’s peacekeepers face assaults on a virtually daily basis, in the form of rocket attacks on bases and targeted attacks with improvised explosive devices.

Photo: MINUSMA/Marco Dormino

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.