May 18, 2026 08:27 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Mali: Ban condemns deadly attack against UN peacekeepers

| | Sep 03, 2014, at 06:48 pm
New York, Sept 3 (IBNS) Condemning the latest in a series of recent attacks against United Nations personnel and contractors in northern Mali, Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon on Tuesday declared that the latest incident, in which four UN peacekeepers were killed and 15 others injured, would not deter the Organization’s determination to support the Malian Government and people.

A statement issued by  Ban’s spokesperson in New York said the Secretary-General is deeply saddened by the death of the four Chadian peacekeepers following an attack by an explosive device on a vehicle of the UN Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali (MINUSMA).

The incident, which took place on a road north of Kidal in northern Mali earlier on Tuesday, also wounded 15 peacekeepers, including six seriously.

“The Secretary-General condemns this incident which is the latest in a series of attacks against UN personnel and contractors in the Kidal region in the past week,” said the statement, noting also repeated mortar fire against the MINUSMA camp and another improvised explosive device (IED) attack against a UN vehicle that wounded nine Chadian peacekeepers on 29 August.

Such attacks, the statement continued, will not alter the determination of the UN to support the Malian people in their search for peace.

“The Secretary-General expresses his deepest condolences to the families of the peacekeepers who were killed and also to the Government of Chad, and he wishes a full and speedy recovery to those injured,” it concluded.

UN peacekeepers on patrol in Kidal, Mali. Photo: MINUSMA/Blagoje Grujic

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.