August 19, 2026 12:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Malaysia officially declares MH370 crash an accident, says no one survived

| | Jan 29, 2015, at 11:55 pm
Kuala Lumpur, Jan 29 (IBNS): Malaysia's Civil Aviation Authority on Thursday officially declared the MH370 crash an accident after it could not locate the missing aircraft.
Malaysia civil aviation chief Azharuddin Abdul Rahman, while making the statement, said that after a wide search for the Malaysia Airlines jet that disappeared on March 8, 2014, the teams have reached a conclusion that the flight might have ended in the southern Indian Ocean.
 
"Based on the analysis of all available evidence and the supporting factual information that I have mentioned, this data supports the conclusion that MH370 ended its flight in the southern Indian Ocean," Rahman said.
 
On March 8 last year, a Malaysian Airlines aircraft, a Boeing 777-2H6ER, with
registration 9M-MRO and call-sign MH370, lost contact with Air 2 Traffic Control after waypoint IGARI during a transition of airspace between Malaysia and Vietnam whilst en-route to Beijing.
 
There were 227 passengers, 2 flight crew and 10 cabin crew on board.
 
"Based on data, we have concluded that the aircraft exhausted its fuel over a defined area of the southern Indian Ocean, and that the aircraft is located on the sea floor close to that defined area. This is a remote location, far from any possible landing sites. It is also an area with adverse sea conditions with known depths of more than 6,000 metres," Rahman announced.
 
He said that after 327 days and based on all available data as well as circumstances, survivability in the defined area is highly unlikely.
 
"It is therefore, with the heaviest heart and deepest sorrow that, on behalf of the Government of Malaysia, we officially declare Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 an accident in accordance with the Standards of Annexes 12 and 13 to the Chicago Convention and that all 239 of the passengers and crew onboard MH370 are
presumed to have lost their lives," the Malaysia civil aviation chief announced.
 
The declaration was made as it will enable the families of the victims to obtain the assistance they need, in particular through the compensation process.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.