August 20, 2026 11:39 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Libya: UN Mission condemns ongoing fighting despite repeated calls for ceasefire

| | Aug 13, 2014, at 01:56 pm
New York, Aug 13 (IBNS) The United Nations mission assisting Libya on Tuesday condemned the battles in the capital, Tripoli, which continue despite repeated international calls for an immediate ceasefire and appeals to refrain from the use of force to resolve political differences.

In a statement, the UN Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) said it “deplores the rise in the number of civilian casualties” and expressed deep concern about the displacement of thousands of families.

Shortages of medical supplies, as well as the halt to the country’s economic activity, driven in part by the huge destruction of residences and infrastructure, are also concerns.

In the eastern region of the country, UNSMIL condemned continued clashes which are inflicting harm on the civilian population. The Mission also denounced attacks against police and army positions, as well as the use of military aircraft in combat.

Libya has been embroiled in some of the worst fighting since the 2011 uprising that ousted former leader Muammar al-Qadhafi and set the North African nation on a path to democratic transition.

According to media reports, the new House of Representatives on Tuesday agreed that the new President will be directly elected by the Libyan people. The newly elected Libyan parliament convened for the first time last week, a move welcomed by UNSMIL in the hopes that parliamentarians will lead efforts toward inclusive political dialogue.

UNSMIL said that it was in coordination with international partners and in constant contact with all sides in an effort to reach a ceasefire, end the bloodshed and agree to political solutions to the current proble

“All sides must respond positively to these efforts without delay,” the Mission urged.

 

Photo: IRIN/Zahra Moloo

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.