August 19, 2026 07:28 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Libya: Security Council urges parties to finalize political accord

| | Sep 11, 2015, at 03:11 pm
New York, Sept 11 (IBNS): The Security Council on Wednesday extended the mandate of the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) until 15 March 2016, while underscoring that there can be no military solution to the ongoing political crisis.

In a unanimously adopted resolution, the 15-member body called for an “immediate and unconditional” ceasefire in the North African nation, which has been plagued by factional fighting since the 2011 revolution and where situation has continued to deteriorate in recent months amid significant political fragmentation and violence.

In July, a number of Libyan leaders initialled a political agreement at UN-facilitated talks that had been under way in Skhirat, Morocco, in an effort to resolve the country's political crisis.

In its resolution, the Council urged all parties to “engage constructively” with the efforts of UNSMIL and the Secretary-General’s Special Representative, Bernardino León, to finalize the political agreement, and called for the immediate formation of a Government of National Accord and agreement on interim security arrangements to stabilize the country.

The Council also underlined that the situation in Libya has been exacerbated by the smuggling of migrants and trafficking in persons from and through Libyan territory and voiced its grave concern at the endangerment of lives in the Mediterranean Sea, in particular off the coast of Libya.

Furthermore, Council members condemned the use of violence against civilians and institutions, including attacks on airports, and called for those responsible to be held accountable.

Also on Wednesday, León told reporters in Skhirat that a new round of talks, which he hoped will be the final round and “the moment of truth for the parties,” was beginning.

He said, “We are very hopeful that they will understand that this deadline of the 20th of September must be the last one, must be the one that will allow Libya to get out of this crisis.”

He also informed the media of some “very concerning news,” including the killing of more civilians, especially some kids in Benghazi; the reported takeover by Daesh of the offices of the Libyan Central Bank in Sirte as well as some private banks.

“The international community is not only condemning this but also asking the Libyans to understand that enough is enough,” León stated.

Photo: UN Photo/Devra Berkowitz (file)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.