August 19, 2026 08:20 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Vijay govt calls for action to stop students, youth from joining CJP, Left protests | Kolkata hotel fire kills 9: Bengal Minister Agnimitra Paul targets ex-TMC govt, CESC over licences | Kolkata hotel fire: 9 Bangladeshi nationals, including women and a child, die in massive blaze | Tarun Tejpal faces life term? Goa govt moves Supreme Court after 2013 rape conviction | Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis

Lebanon: UN officials condemn attack in Beirut suburb, call for terrorists to be brought to justice

| | Nov 13, 2015, at 03:38 pm
New York, Nov 13 (Just Earth News/IBNS):United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and his Special Representative in Lebanon, Sigrid Kaag, have strongly condemned the terrorist attack on Thursday in the Beirut suburb of Burj al-Barajneh.

“He is deeply saddened at the reported high numbers of fatalities and injured, and extends his condolences to the families of the victims and to the people and Government of Lebanon. He wishes a speedy recovery to those injured, said Ban in a statementissued by his spokesperson in New York.

In the statement, Ban reiterated the support of the United Nations for Lebanon’s institutions, including the Lebanese Armed Forces and security services, in their efforts to safeguard the security of Lebanon and its people.

“He trusts they will not allow this despicable act to destroy the relative calm that has prevailed in the country over the past year,” the statement added, also reiterating the need for all parties to continue to work to preserve Lebanon’s stability and security, as called for by the Security Council.

“The Secretary-General calls for those responsible for this terrorist act to be swiftly brought to justice,” the statement concluded.

Earlier in the day, Kaag also strongly condemned “the heinous” deadly attack.

“Lebanon’s unity, stability and security need to be supported and shielded at all times,” she said in statement on the attack, in which according to media reports at least 37 people were killed and more than 181 wounded by suicide bombers.

“The international community stands by Lebanon,” she added, voicing profound condolences to the families of the victims, and wishing a speedy recovery to the injured.

She stressed the need for those responsible for terrorist acts to be brought to justice, and expressed her strong support for the Lebanese Armed Forces and the security services.

Photo: James Haines-Young/IRIN(file)

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.