August 19, 2026 12:06 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Kenya Suicide Attack
Image credit: UNI

Kenya: Three killed in suicide attack

| @indiablooms | Dec 09, 2021, at 02:43 am

Nairobi/UNI/Xinhua: Three people including a suicide bomber were killed in a blast in Kisumu County in Western Kenya, the police confirmed on Wednesday.

Kisumu County police commander Karanja Muiruri said the victims, a man and his wife, died during the blast on Tuesday evening in the Nyakach area while the attacker also died on the spot after detonating himself.

Muirui said the terror suspect, identified as Joseph Odhiambo Ondiek alias Pope, went to the couple's homestead and found them seated with their daughter and started to question them.

"The al-Shabab suspect started questioning them on things they don't understand," he said.

The police said an improvised explosive device that the terror suspect was carrying suddenly detonated killing the suspect on the spot and the couple while the couple's daughter sustained injuries and is hospitalized.

The police said the 44-year-old suicide bomber was suspected to be a returnee from the al-Shabab terror group which has increased attacks in the East Africa region.

Muiruri said security agencies have launched an investigation into the Tuesday evening incident that he termed an act of terrorism.

"We are trying to establish where he has been for the past months. This is serious and we are pursuing it," he said.

According to the police report, area residents identified the suspect who on December 17 last year tried to kill his girlfriend in their rented house at Katito town over alleged infidelity. The suspect had made an explosive and left it in the house. It exploded but the girlfriend escaped unhurt.

"After the Katito incident, the suspect disappeared to an unknown location just to resurface on Tuesday to attack people. Tuesday's incident is taken to be an act of terrorist," the police said in the report.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.