August 19, 2026 09:51 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
MBS
Saudi Crown Prince meeting Donald Trump. Photo: The White House/X

Jamal Khashoggi killing: Trump defends Saudi Crown Prince, says MBS 'knew nothing'

| @indiablooms | Nov 19, 2025, at 08:55 am

US President Donald Trump on Tuesday defended Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman over the 2018 killing of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, saying the royal “knew nothing” about the incident. Trump suggested the question was raised during the Crown Prince’s visit to the United States to “embarrass” him.

Trump also described Khashoggi as an “extremely controversial” figure.

“You’re mentioning somebody that was extremely controversial. A lot of people didn’t like that gentleman you’re talking about. Whether you liked him or didn’t like him, things happen,” Trump was quoted as saying by CNN.

US intelligence agencies, however, have assessed that the Saudi Crown Prince likely approved the operation that resulted in Khashoggi’s murder. Trump dismissed that conclusion during the interaction, reiterating: “He knew nothing about it, and we can leave it at that.”

Mohammed bin Salman is visiting the White House for the first time in seven years — and the first time since the killing of Khashoggi in 2018.

“You don’t have to embarrass our guest by asking a question like that,” Trump told reporters, defending the Crown Prince seated beside him.

Khashoggi, a US-based Saudi journalist, walked into the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on October 2, 2018, where he was murdered. Saudi officials said the killing was the result of a “rogue operation” by agents sent to persuade him to return to the Kingdom. Turkish officials, meanwhile, said the agents acted on orders from the highest levels of the Saudi government, according to the BBC.

Khashoggi had longstanding ties with the Saudi royal family and previously served as an adviser to the government. He later fell out of favour and went into self-imposed exile in the United States in 2017. He wrote a monthly column for The Washington Post, often criticising Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman’s policies.

Responding to Trump’s remarks, Khashoggi’s widow, Hanan Elatr Khashoggi, rejected the characterisation of her late husband as “controversial.”

“This is not justification to murder him. Jamal was a good, transparent and brave man,” she said in a statement to CNN. “Many may not have agreed with his opinions and desire for freedom of the press. The Crown Prince said he was sorry, so he should meet me, apologise and compensate me for the murder of my husband.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.