August 19, 2026 08:28 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
The ceasefire is contingent on a 'complete cessation' of fire by Hezbollah and the withdrawal of the group's operatives from southern Lebanon. Photo: ChatGPT.

Israel, Lebanon agree to new ceasefire framework, but Hezbollah's rejection clouds deal

| @indiablooms | Jun 04, 2026, at 10:48 pm

Israel and Lebanon have agreed to implement a new ceasefire framework aimed at halting months of cross-border fighting, but uncertainty remains after Hezbollah reportedly rejected the proposal and Israel signalled it would continue military operations despite the announcement.

The agreement emerged from US-mediated talks in Washington and includes provisions for a complete cessation of fire and the establishment of security zones in southern Lebanon, Al Jazeera reported.

Ceasefire calls for end to hostilities

According to a joint statement issued after the talks, the ceasefire is contingent on a "complete cessation" of fire by Hezbollah and the withdrawal of the group's operatives from southern Lebanon.

The two sides also agreed to establish pilot zones where the Lebanese Armed Forces would assume exclusive control, excluding all non-state actors.

The agreement effectively seeks to reinforce and expand an earlier ceasefire arrangement reached in May rather than create an entirely new truce.

Hezbollah signals opposition to deal

The future of the agreement remains uncertain after a Hezbollah official told AFP that the group had informed Lebanese authorities it rejected the ceasefire framework.

The official said Hezbollah chief Naim Qassem had conveyed the movement's position through Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri, a key Hezbollah ally who is acting as an intermediary.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun had earlier said he was awaiting Hezbollah's formal response.

Fighting continues despite announcement

Hostilities continued even as the ceasefire was announced.

Hezbollah claimed responsibility for attacks targeting Israeli soldiers, while Israeli strikes reportedly killed at least 10 people in southern Lebanon on Wednesday.

Hours after the agreement was unveiled, air raid sirens sounded in northern Israel after a suspicious aerial target was detected. No casualties were reported.

On Thursday, Lebanese media reported additional Israeli strikes in the Bekaa Valley and southern Lebanon, including attacks on Sohmor, Tell al-Aqareb, Haddatha, Tibnin, Haris, Kfar and Harin.

Israel says military operations will continue

Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said the military would continue operating in Lebanon and would not immediately withdraw from occupied positions.

He also indicated that displaced Lebanese residents would not yet be allowed to return to their homes in the south.

According to Katz, Israel would retain the freedom to strike targets in Lebanon, including Beirut, in response to attacks against Israeli territory.

The remarks underscored the challenges facing efforts to transform the ceasefire into a lasting peace arrangement.

Lebanon begins security deployment

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam said the Lebanese Army would begin deploying to the agreed pilot zones as part of the first phase of implementation.

President Aoun described the latest negotiations as difficult but characterised the agreement as a "last opportunity" to secure a comprehensive ceasefire, said reports.

He warned that all parties would bear responsibility if the framework failed.

Iran insists regional conflicts are linked

The ceasefire discussions unfolded against the backdrop of wider regional tensions involving Iran.

While US President Donald Trump has sought to separate negotiations over Lebanon from talks concerning the conflict with Iran, Tehran has rejected that approach.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi warned that any major attack on Beirut could trigger a renewed escalation, while Esmail Qaani called for Israel's withdrawal from positions occupied during the current conflict.

With Hezbollah yet to formally endorse the agreement and both sides continuing military operations, the durability of the ceasefire remains uncertain despite the diplomatic breakthrough.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.