May 18, 2026 05:30 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Iraq: UNSC supports humanitarian action for restive Anbar

| | Jun 07, 2014, at 06:39 pm
New York, Jun 7 (IBNS): The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has stressed its support for the engagement of all political groups in Iraq, where nearly 800 people fell victim to violence last month, on concerted efforts to ensure security for its entire population, particularly in Anbar province, which has been embattled for months.
“Members of the Security Council…believe that through its democratic institutions, in cooperation with Iraqi society, Iraq can work to address the challenges facing the country for the benefit of all Iraqis,” said a press statement issued by the 15-member body.
 
“They emphasize support for the Government of Iraq’s efforts to engage with local civilian leaders in Anbar and its calls for a conference on the situation in Anbar,” said the statement.
 
On Wednesday, the Council received a briefing from Nickolay Mladenov, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of the UN Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI), who said the crisis in Anbar province posed the most serious challenge to the Government’s efforts to maintain the stability and security needed to build a democratic State.
 
Since the start of the year, more than 66,000 families were displaced by the fighting, and more families were displaced in the months prior by attacks carried out by Al-Qaida-linked militants, UNAMI reported.
 
Through its statement, the Security Council also encouraged the Government of Iraq to continue working with UNAMI and humanitarian agencies to ensure the delivery of relief to those displaced and others in need.
 
In that regard, the Council noted Mladenov’s warning that the UN and Government of Iraq Strategic Response Plan, to assist individuals affected by the ongoing conflict in Anbar, had received only 10 per cent of its required USD 103.7 million. It appealed to Member States to fully fund the initiative.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.