August 19, 2026 08:29 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Hormuz
A satellite image shows the Strait of Hormuz. (far right). Photo: © NASA/Jeff Schmaltz

Iran-US conflict: Cargo vessel hit near Strait of Hormuz, UN agency pauses evacuation operations

| @indiablooms | Jun 26, 2026, at 07:20 am

An Iranian drone struck a cargo vessel in the Strait of Hormuz on Friday, a US official told CNN, in an incident that has once again raised concerns over peace and stability in the strategically vital region.

Iran has not claimed responsibility for the attack.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said in a statement: "Master UKMTO has received a report of an incident 7.5 nautical miles southeast of Dahit, Oman. A cargo vessel has been hit on the starboard side by an unknown projectile, causing damage to the bridge."

UKMTO confirmed that the strike caused no casualties and resulted in no environmental damage.

Following the attack, the United Nations' International Maritime Organization (IMO) announced that it has temporarily suspended its evacuation operations in the region until the security situation becomes clearer.

IMO Secretary-General Arsenio Dominguez said: "Following the launch of the IMO's evacuation plan, through which several vessels have already been successfully evacuated, I have decided to temporarily pause its implementation in order to reconfirm that the necessary safety guarantees continue to be in place for the ships on our evacuation list and all those in the region."

He added: "I have been informed of an attack today in the Gulf of Oman on a vessel which passed through the Strait of Hormuz. This vessel did not transit under IMO's evacuation framework."

Reiterating that the safety of seafarers remains the organization's top priority, Dominguez said:

"I have always reiterated that the safety of the seafarers remains paramount. Therefore, to ensure a coordinated approach and navigational safety, the evacuation plan will be paused until further clarity is obtained."

The latest strike comes at a time when the United States and Iran remain divided over the terms of an interim peace agreement.

Although commercial traffic through the Strait of Hormuz has increased in recent days, shipping volumes remain below pre-war levels.

Around 11,000 seafarers are still awaiting evacuation from the Persian Gulf following disruptions caused by the conflict that erupted in late February after military action by the United States and Israel against Iran.

The signing last week of a Memorandum of Understanding aimed at ending hostilities between the two countries and reopening the Strait of Hormuz led to an initial round of negotiations, which concluded on Monday in Switzerland.

However, conflicting statements from Washington and Tehran regarding the status of the talks have continued to fuel uncertainty, according to the United Nations.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.