August 19, 2026 12:22 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

Iran: UN atomic agency chief appeals for funds to extend monitoring mission until June 2015

| | Dec 14, 2014, at 02:56 am
New York, Dec 12 (IBNS): The United Nations atomic agency has made an appeal on Thursday for 4.6 million euros so that it can continue to undertake its monitoring and verification activities in Iran until June 2015 under the Joint Plan of Action with Iran agreed to by China, France, Germany, the Russian Federation, the United Kingdom and the United States last December.
Speaking at the International Atomic Energy Agency’s (IAEA) Board of Governors meeting this morning in Vienna, Director General Amano Yukiya Amano told the IAEA’s 35-nation board about the need for voluntary budget contributions and reiterated that the agency remains committed to working with Iran to restore international confidence in the peaceful nature of its nuclear programme.
 
“The Joint Plan of Action is aimed at achieving a mutually-agreed long-term comprehensive solution that would ensure Iran’s nuclear programme will be exclusively peaceful,”  Amano said , noting the nuclear-related monitoring and verification work that the Agency has been undertaking.
 
Last month, the seven countries agreed to extend the Joint Plan of Action to 30 June 2015. They asked the Agency to continue its existing work and to undertake some additional activities under the Plan, with an estimate of the cost of the monitoring and verification work totalling some 5.5 million euros.
 
“Our work in relation to the Joint Plan of Action has involved a significant increase in the frequency of the Agency’s in-field verification activities, including at additional locations,”  Amano said, adding that the IAEA had to procure and install more safeguards equipment, undertake more sample analysis and carry out more analytical work.
 
“We can fund around half a million euros through re-prioritization of our work, re-scheduling of activities and re-allocation of staff. A further 0.4 million euros are expected to be available from previous contributions. But 4.6 million euros in voluntary extra-budgetary contributions will still be required,”  Amano said.
 
On Thursday,  Amano invited Member States to make the necessary funding available as soon as possible, in order to ensure smooth continuation of activities. The Agency is committed to working with Iran to restore international confidence in the peaceful nature of its nuclear programme, he said.
 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.