August 19, 2026 09:17 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Iran Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf. Photo: Wikimedia Commons.

Iran says 'progress' in US talks, but final deal still distant

| @indiablooms | Apr 19, 2026, at 10:46 am

Iran has said there has been some “progress” in ongoing peace talks with the United States, but cautioned that a final agreement remains far from reach as a two-week ceasefire nears its end on Wednesday.

'Many gaps remain': Ghalibaf

Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, speaker of Iran’s parliament, said key differences persist despite initial diplomatic engagement.

“There are many gaps and some fundamental points remain. We are still far from the final discussion,” he said in a televised address.

Ghalibaf, who led Iran’s delegation in the first round of talks held in Islamabad, asserted that Tehran entered negotiations from a position of strength.

“If we accepted the ceasefire, it was because they accepted our demands.”

He also claimed Iran maintained control over the strategic Strait of Hormuz and had been “victorious in the field.”

High-stakes diplomacy, no breakthrough yet

The talks in Islamabad marked the highest-level contact between Iran and the US since the Iranian Revolution.

Iranian officials say no date has been fixed for the next round of negotiations. Tehran is prioritising a broader “framework of understanding” before committing to further discussions.

Trump: 'Very good conversations,' but tough warning

Donald Trump said discussions with Iran were ongoing and positive, but warned Tehran against escalating tensions.

“We’re talking to them… but they can’t blackmail us,” he said, referring to Iran’s actions in the Strait of Hormuz.

Trump also reiterated a hardline stance, warning that military action could resume if a long-term agreement is not reached before the ceasefire deadline.

Strait of Hormuz tensions escalate

Iran sent mixed signals on the status of the Strait of Hormuz—briefly declaring it open before reimposing restrictions.

The Iranian military said the waterway was under “strict management,” warning that any unauthorized crossing would be treated as cooperation with hostile forces.

The Strait is a crucial global energy corridor, carrying roughly one-fifth of the world’s oil and LNG supplies.

Indian ships fired upon

Tensions escalated further after two Indian-flagged vessels were targeted by Iranian gunboats in the Strait.

The ships — Jag Arnav and Sanmar Herald — were forced to turn back after coming under fire. No injuries or damage were reported.

India strongly protested the incident, summoning Iran’s ambassador and stressing the importance of safe maritime passage.

Ceasefire clock ticking

With the ceasefire set to expire in days, uncertainty looms over whether diplomacy can prevent a renewed escalation.

Despite cautious optimism from both sides, the gap between Washington and Tehran remains significant, raising concerns about what happens if talks fail.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.