August 19, 2026 12:28 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

International search drive mobilized for missing AirAsia flight

| | Dec 29, 2014, at 07:28 pm
Surabaya, Dec 29 (IBNS) - AirAsia Indonesia received confirmation from the National Search and Rescue Agency Republic of Indonesia (BASARNAS) that an international search and rescue mission from Indonesia, Singapore and Malaysia had been mobilized in the search of flight QZ8501.

The mission in Surabaya resumed at 06.00 on Monday.

“AirAsia Indonesia continued to support these efforts and has been actively cooperating with the search and rescue authorities with its primary focus remaining on the families, a press statement said.

It also said that AirAsia Chief Executive Officer (CEO), Indonesia Sunu Widyatmoko is currently stationed at the family centre in Surabaya.

“We have been keeping the families updated on the search and rescue efforts as well as provide emotional support. Another group of AirAsia officials are providing the same to the families based in Singapore,” the press communiqué said.

An emergency call centre was established and available for families seeking information. The number is +622129270811 or 031-8690855 or 031-2986790 (Surabaya).

The AirAsia plane that went missing with 162 passengers on board en-route to Singapore is likely at the bottom of the sea, Indonesia's National Search and Rescue Agency Chief Bambang Soelistyo said on Monday

He said: “Based on the coordinates given to us and evaluation that the estimated crash position is in the sea, the hypothesis is the plane is at the bottom of the sea.” The Airbus A320-200 disappeared on Sunday en-route from Surabaya in Indonesia’s east Java to Singapore.

Soelistyo said that Indonesia did not have the tools required retrieving the plane from the seabed.

“Due to the lack of technology that we have, I have coordinated with our foreign minister so we will borrow from other countries which have offered. They are the UK, France and US,” he said.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.