August 19, 2026 12:50 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

In South Sudan, senior UN official says 'no doubt' rights violations are ongoing

| | Feb 06, 2015, at 06:20 pm
New York, Feb 6 (IBNS): Warring parties in the South Sudan conflict say they are close to signing a peace deal, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General for Human Rights, Ivan Å imonovic, told reporters in Juba on Thursday as he confirmed that while fighting has decreased, rights violations continue in the world's youngest country.

“I have met victims of recent violations – victims who are survivors of killings – so violations are ongoing…It is appalling to hear that in certain areas of the country, I think it was the month of August, a ‘month of rape’ was proclaimed. This is absolutely intolerable,” he said.

Šimonović, who is the country until 6 February assessing the human rights situation, met with South Sudanese President Salva Kiir and his former Vice-President, Riek Machar. Earlier this week, the two leaders concluded a round of talks with a deal on a cease-fire, but without a broader agreement on running the country, which has been engulfed by war for more than a year.

“They have been assuring me that they are close, but it is not enough to be close. Peace has to be signed,” Šimonović said, reiterating the Secretary-General’s call for the two leaders to listen to their people. “There is a common message coming from everyone, be they women or men, young or old, Nuer or Dinka. People want peace.”

Visiting some of the hard hit areas, he said it was striking that both Bentiu and Malakal have become “destroyed cities.” During the day, there are some signs of life, but at night they become “ghost towns” because people return to the UN’s protection sites. Šimonović warned that with over 50,000 people at sites operated by the UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) in Bentiu, and over 20,000 in Malakal, the situation is not sustainable for long. “It is essential to push for peace,” he stressed.

Pushing for peach requires ending the impunity cycle. Because of a lack of accountability in previous times, violations have been occurring. This “vicious cycle” has to be broken, he declared, emphasizing the need for broader participation in the peace process.

“We need representatives of all ethnic groups, we need civil society, we need women, we need elders, we need religious leaders. Only if there is broad inclusion in the political process will there be a chance for sustainable peace.”

The security situation in South Sudan has steadily deteriorated since political in-fighting between President Kiir and his former deputy, Machar, started in mid-December 2013. The hostilities subsequently turned into a full-fledged conflict that has sent nearly 100,000 civilians fleeing to United Nations bases around the country.

According to the UN, some 2.5 million people could be in need of food assistance in through March of 2015, especially if hostilities in the country continue through the dry season.

The new deadline for the two leaders to reach a peace pact has been set by the peace broker, the Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD), for the 5 March.

Photo: UNMISS

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.