August 19, 2026 08:19 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Chicago Decomposed Body
An investigation is underway after more than 50 decomposed bodies were found at a funeral home in US. Photo: ChatGPT Recreated

Horror at Chicago funeral home: Over 50 decomposed bodies discovered

| @indiablooms | Aug 09, 2026, at 03:27 pm

An investigation is underway after more than 50 decomposed bodies were found at a funeral home in Chicago, US, media reports said.

The Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office said it was notified by Illinois and Chicago officials about decedents who had been improperly stored at a funeral home.

“MEO investigators and forensic pathologists went to the funeral home, located at 2939 E. 95th St. in Chicago, this afternoon. The team has found more than 50 decedents in various states of decomposition at this time,” the office said in a statement.

Medical Examiner’s Office staff are assessing the condition of the remains and searching for documentation to establish the identities of the deceased, as well as locating relevant death certificates.

“This process could take several days to ensure proper disposition,” the statement said.

The Medical Examiner’s Office said it would work with authorities to identify the deceased as quickly as possible and notify their families.

No arrests have been made so far.

Neighbours told local media that a foul smell had been coming from the area around the funeral home, ABC7 reported.

According to records from the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation, the state suspended the licence of funeral director Johanna Morgan after determining that the facility’s “continued practice is a danger to the public safety, interest and welfare,” CBS News reported.

One neighbour, who identified herself only as “V”, said she had lived directly behind South Chicago Chapel for about a year and had repeatedly noticed a disturbing smell.

“It just, like, stinks all the time. Like, it's so bad,” she told CBS News.

She described the smell as being similar to that of “a dead mouse.”

“I have a 3-year-old, I live right next door,” Valkiery Velez told CBS News Chicago. “I lived there for like a year, so, like, I could smell it the whole year.”

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.