May 18, 2026 05:21 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions
Tiananmen Square
UNI

Hong Kong: 6 arrested during Tiananmen Square massacre anniversary

| @indiablooms | Jun 05, 2022, at 11:34 pm

Hong Kong:  At least six people were arrested in Hong Kong as the authorities attempt to restrict public commemoration of the Tiananmen Square massacre.

The Hong Kong citizens held candlelight vigil to mark the 33rd anniversary of 1989 crackdown in Beijing.

In 2020, China had banned the city's annual public vigil.

BBC quoted the Hong Kong Police as saying that five men and one woman had been arrested on Saturday in the vicinity of Victoria Park, where a candlelight vigil marking the 1989 crackdown in Beijing would have been held.

Several images also became viral on social media showing people being detained.

However, the heavy police presence had failed to deter some Hongkongers from approaching the park and conducting their own acts of commemoration in defiance -- by holding up electronic candles and phone flashlights or quietly singing songs of remembrance, CNN reported.

One of the attendees of the vigil who is also a volunteer for the Tiananmen Mothers Campaign said, "It's heartbreaking to see (Victoria Park) like this. Hong Kong has sunk far and fast into a police state."

On Friday, the authorities said, "Police noticed that some people have been spreading messages on the Internet to incite others to take part in unauthorised assemblies at Victoria Park and in Causeway Bay on June 4.

"The Leisure and Cultural Services Department would close part of the Victoria Park including the central lawn, football pitches and basketball courts from 11 pm on June 3."

It further said that participating in an unauthorised assembly risks committing offences under the Public Order Ordinance, and on conviction, will bring a maximum penalty of five years' imprisonment.

(With UNI inputs)

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.