August 19, 2026 09:59 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Washington DC Shooting
The shooting occurred close to the White House. Photo: Unsplash

Gunfire near White House: Two National Guard soldiers shot as Afghan national suspect arrested

| @indiablooms | Nov 27, 2025, at 09:25 am

Two National Guard soldiers were critically injured on Wednesday after they were shot by a gunman, identified as an Afghan national, less than two blocks from the White House, authorities said.

The suspect, described by officials as a lone assailant, was taken into custody after being shot, media reports said.

D.C. Police confirmed the arrest in a statement on X, saying the scene had been secured.

— DC Police Department (@DCPoliceDept) November 26, 2025

U.S. President Donald Trump, who was in Florida at the time, told reporters that the suspect was an Afghan national who entered the United States in 2021.

President Trump described him as "a foreigner who entered our country from Afghanistan, a hellhole on Earth," in a video message late Wednesday, reported CBS News.

CBS News, citing multiple law enforcement sources, identified the suspect as Rahmanullah Lakanwal and reported that he entered the U.S. in 2021.

He was hospitalized after being wounded during the exchange.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said on X that the suspect was among those paroled into the United States under Operation Allies Welcome in September 2021.

She said: "The suspect who shot our brave National Guardsmen is an Afghan national who was one of the many unvetted, mass paroled into the United States under Operation Allies Welcome on September 8, 2021, under the Biden Administration."

The FBI said it was assisting local authorities and would release further information as available.

FBI chief Kash Patel said: "FBI is engaged and assisting with the investigation in Washington, D.C. after National Guard members were shot this afternoon. Please pray for them and we will update with more information as we are able."

Washington Mayor Muriel Bowser condemned the attack as “horrific and unconscionable,” confirming that the suspect will be prosecuted “to the full extent of the law.”

The motive for the shooting has not been determined.

Approximately 2,200 National Guard personnel are currently deployed in Washington, D.C., as part of recent federal public-safety measures, according to U.S. media reports.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.