August 19, 2026 08:35 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Israel
Gunfight occurs outside Israeli Consulate in Istanbul. Photo: X page videograb

Gunfight outside Israeli Consulate in Istanbul: Attacker killed, two captured

| @indiablooms | Apr 07, 2026, at 05:27 pm

At least one attacker was killed, while two others were wounded and detained after a gunfight broke out outside the Israeli Consulate General in Istanbul’s Beşiktaş district on Tuesday, according to media reports.

Akin Gurlek, Turkey’s Justice Minister, announced that a criminal investigation had been launched into the incident, Turkiye Today reported.

Davut Gul, the Governor of Istanbul, told the news outlet, “One of the attackers was killed, and two were captured wounded.”

Confirming the development, Mustafa Ciftci said, “Three individuals who engaged in an armed clash with our police officers on duty in front of the Yapi Kredi Plaza blocks in Istanbul were neutralised.”

He added that two police officers sustained minor injuries during the exchange of fire.

Authorities have identified the suspects. The Interior Minister noted that one of the attackers had travelled to Istanbul from Izmit in a rented vehicle and had links to an organisation that exploits religion, while another—one of two brothers involved—had a prior drug record.

According to media reports, the attackers arrived wearing tactical camouflage clothing, carrying backpacks, and armed with long-barrelled weapons.

The consulate, which has remained closed for an extended period with only police protection in place, came under attack when the suspects opened fire on officers stationed outside.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.