August 19, 2026 12:42 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

France: Gunman holds 2 hostages in Paris suburb post office

| | Jan 17, 2015, at 12:52 am
Paris, Jan 16 (IB NS) A gunman has taken two hostages in a post office in the city of Colombes, northwest of Paris, on Friday media reports said.
The police have reached the spot. The area has been cordoned off.
 
According to reports, authorities have said the incident is not linked to terrorism.
 
The gunman is known to the security officials and he himself had contacted the police, media reports said.
 
Meanwhile, French and German authorities arrested at least 12 people on Friday in connection with suspected links to the Islamic State group.
 
A Paris train station was also evacuated and the entire Europe is on alert for new potential terrorist attacks, reports said.
 
Earlier, two suspected terrorists were killed in a gun battle near the German border on Thursday as Belgium stepped up its efforts against subversive modules with police raids, arrests and a heightened alert-level across the country, media reports said.
 
The authorities said that a man suspected of links to last week’s deadly terror attacks in Paris had been arrested in southern Belgium.
 
According to reports, the gun battle took place in Verviers - a town located about 75 miles east of Brussels.
 
 
The country witnessed a major terrorist attack which even killed several cartoonists after the militants attacked French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo last week.
 
The Yemen branch of terror outfit Al Qaeda on Wednesday owned responsibility for last week's brutal attack on French satirical newspaper Charlie Hebdo in which 12 people were killed.
 
Nasr al-Ansi, a top commander of Al Qaeda in Yemen, appeared in an 11-minute internet video, claiming that the attack was carried out in vengeance for the prophet, reports said.
 
He said Yemen's Al Qaeda branch chose the target, chalked out plans and financed the operation.
 
Two masked gunmen shot dead journalists and other people in Paris after the newspaper cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad.
 
The whole world was shocked following the massacre, first of its kind in France.
 
The two alleged attackers were later tracked down by police and shot dead in a small industrial town of France.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.