August 19, 2026 10:44 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

DR Congo: UN hails appointment of senior adviser on sexual violence, child recruitment

| | Jul 15, 2014, at 03:30 pm
New York, July 15 (IBNS)The appointment of a presidential adviser on conflict-related sexual violence and child recruitment in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) marks "a new dawn" in tackling these scourges, senior United Nations officials said on Monday.

The appointment of Jeannine Mabunda Lioko Mudiayi is a demonstration of President Joseph Kabila’s personal commitment to the fight against conflict-related sexual violence and recruitment and use of children in the DRC,” said Zainab Hawa Bangura and Leila Zerrougui, the Secretary-General’s Special Representatives on Sexual Violence in Conflict and Children and Armed Conflict, respectively.

“It comes at a crucial moment when the Government of DRC is moving forward and asserting greater ownership in the fight to end conflict-related sexual violence and the recruitment and use of children in its armed forces,” they added in a joint statement.

The envoys pledged their full support and collaboration with the new appointee and called on civil society, service providers, non-governmental organizations and UN partners to rally behind her to ensure that her work is successful.

Last month,  Bangura noted that the DRC – described by her predecessor as “the rape capital of the world” – has shown commitment at the highest level to end sexual violence, including by signing a joint communiqué with the UN. It is also developing new legal structures to end impunity for perpetrators.

Meanwhile, the latest report of the Secretary-General on children and armed conflict noted that the UN has documented 910 children (783 boys and 127 girls), who had been newly recruited and used by armed groups.

Almost half of the children were reportedly used as combatants, but children were also used as porters, cooks, informants and in other support roles. Most of the girls were subjected to sexual slavery.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.