August 19, 2026 12:21 pm (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit

DR Congo: Amid spike in violence, UN refugee agency concerned about humanitarian situation

| | Dec 20, 2014, at 07:12 pm
New York, Dec 20 (IBNS): Continuing violence and multiple attacks in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) have sown widespread fear and sparked displacement of thousands of people, the United Nations refugee agency (UNHCR) reported Friday, amid appeals for humanitarian access to help those in distress.

In a press briefing earlier today in Geneva, Adrian Edwards, spokesperson for the agency, cited “credible reports” that at least 256 people, including children, have been massacred in North Kivu province in ongoing machete and axe attacks since October, with new attacks perpetrated by armed groups reported every week.

“The survivors and the displaced live in a desperate situation and in constant fear. They remain at risk of new attacks and have had no respite for the past three months,” Mr. Edwards told reporters. “They have little protection against violence and have received hardly any assistance.”

The bulk of the killings have occurred in and around the town of Beni, in the DRC’s North Kivu province. A recent attack on villages near Oicha, to the west of Beni, resulted in 52 people being “slaughtered,” he said, while a week later 19 more people were killed nearby.

In addition, the violence has caused a spike in displacement. The UNHCR spokesperson pointed out that some 88,000 people had been displace and forced to live in schools and churches, or with host families.

“We are concerned that this situation could result in rising levels of malnutrition and eventually in famine if the situation is not immediately addressed,” Mr. Edwards continued, adding that the UN refugee agency required “safe access” to the affected areas in order to provide the traumatized populations with humanitarian assistance.

According to UNHCR, people in the region are in dire need of basic aid items, clean drinking water and access to health services and schools, particularly as the region is highly vulnerable to outbreaks of malaria and typhus.

The agency called on the DRC Government to protect the civilian population in Beni and its surrounding areas while also urging the UN peacekeeping mission to increase its capacity to protect civilians.

Displaced people in North Kivu. Many parts of the province have been relatively quiet in the past two years, but UNHCR is concerned about violence in the Beni region. Photo: UNHCR/B. Sokol

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.