May 18, 2026 09:15 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Dhaka hostage crisis: 20 foreigners, 6 terrorists killed

| | Jul 02, 2016, at 10:04 pm
Dhaka, July 2 (IBNS): The Bangladeshi Army on Saturday said that 20 foreigners were killed by heavily armed terrorists suspected to belong to terror outfit ISIS after being taken hostage at a restaurant in the capital city Dhaka on Friday evening.
The people were kept hostage for nearly 10 hours in Dhaka's upscale restaurant Gulshan. The stand-off between Army and terrorists came to a end on Saturday morning.
 
An Indian girl, who was taken hostage in the restaurant, also died in the terror attack in Dhaka, Indian External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj confirmed.
 
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday said that a terrorist was caught alive.
 
As the operation came to an end, 13 captives, including three foreigners, were rescued.
 
Brigadier General of Bangladesh Army Nayeem Ashfaq Chowdhury told reporters in Dhaka that: "We've recovered 20 bodies. Most them had been brutally hacked to death with sharp weapons."
 
According to the Army, most of the victims were Italian or Japanese.
 
"Three of those who were rescued were foreigners, including one Japanese and two Sri Lankans," the spokesperson told media.
 
The ISIS has already claimed responsibility for the terror attack, a first of its kind in Bangladesh. 
 
Condemning the attack, Hasina said, "It was an extremely heinous act. What kind of Muslims are these people? They don't have any religion."
 
"People must resist these terrorists. My government is determined to root out terrorism and militancy from Bangladesh...we can defeat terrorism if the people are united," she said. 
 
Gunmen attacked the upscale cafe at Gulshan,  the diplomatic area of Dhaka late Friday  and had been holding  the hostages before Commandos and military personnel stormed the building and cleared it after a 10-hour battle. 

 

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.