May 18, 2026 06:54 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Kathak to Garba: Indian diaspora stuns PM Modi with grand welcome in Amsterdam | ‘Geography or history’: Indian Army chief issues blunt warning to Pakistan over terror support | India, UAE ink key energy deals during Modi’s visit amid West Asia tensions | ‘There can be no better Bengal CM’: Mithun Chakraborty praises Suvendu Adhikari | PM Modi adviser Sanjeev Sanyal frontrunner for Bengal Finance Minister: Report | FIR against Abhishek Banerjee over ‘provocative speeches’ during West Bengal poll campaign | Madhya Pradesh High Court holds Bhojshala complex disputed site to be a temple | ‘Even ex-CM can be probed’: Suvendu Adhikari’s big statement on RG Kar case | Big action in RG Kar case: Bengal CM Suvendu Adhikari suspends 3 IPS officers, including ex-CP Vineet Goyal | Modi’s UAE visit delivers major defence, energy deals amid Middle East tensions

Despite peace talks, ongoing clashes in Central African Republic take heavy toll on civilians – UN

| | Aug 02, 2014, at 09:01 pm
New York, Aug 2 (IBNS): United Nations humanitarian staff working in crisis-torn Central African Republic (CAR) reported Friday that despite peace talks, civilians continue to be caught in crossfire in ongoing fighting.

According to a UN spokesperson in New York, 26 civilians were killed earlier this week when clashes between armed groups resulted in an attack on the village of Batangafo in Ouham Prefecture.

“Our humanitarian colleagues tells us that despite recent peace talks in Brazzaville, clashes between armed groups have continued, exacting a heavy toll on civilians,” Stéphane Dujarric told reporters at UN Headquarters in New York.

Even more alarming, the continued insecurity is having a direct impact on aid efforts. Sixteen aid workers have been killed in the CAR since fighting reached its peak in December. An estimated 527,000 people are still internally displaced, including 102,000 internally displaced persons in Bangui. And over half the population – 2.5 million people – need humanitarian assistance.

In addition to the perilous security situation, the efforts of aid groups are also being hindered by a lack of funding, Mr. Dujarric said. Less than 40 per cent of the $565 million needed for 2014 has been received so far.

Last week, the spokesperson for the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) said lack of funds was badly hampering efforts to provide even the most basic survival assistance for refugees. Assistance gaps remain in shelter and water, sanitation and hygiene, posing particular concern now that the rainy season has begun.

The CAR has been embroiled in fighting currently fuelled by inter-communal retaliatory attacks between anti-balaka and Séléka rebels, after the latter were ousted from power in January 2014. An estimated 2.2 million people are in need of humanitarian aid as a result.

These women from Central African Republic are among the hundreds of thousands displaced by the conflict in the country. Photo: UNHCR/F.Noy

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.