August 19, 2026 08:41 am (IST)
Follow us:
facebook-white sharing button
twitter-white sharing button
instagram-white sharing button
youtube-white sharing button
Supreme Court rejects ‘less painful’ death penalty plea, but leaves door open for future change | ‘Vulgarity and disgust’: DMK attacks Vijay over Trisha salute at I-Day event | ‘Take Gyanesh Kumar to the US’: Congress mocks Trump over praise for India’s voter ID system | Big relief for Imran Khan: Pakistan Supreme Court orders hospital transfer amid health fears | Trump praises India’s voter ID system, pushes SAVE America Act | Trump's shock threat to bomb Oman: US President warns ally over Iran deal and Hormuz crisis | Rishabh Pant scripts history! Indian wicketkeeper-batter joins elite 100-sixes club in Test cricket | BJP reshuffles top organisation seven months after Nitin Nabin's elevation | West Bengal STF arrests suspected aide of ISI 'agent' Rana Rauf in Kolkata | ‘Very hopeful’: Indian envoy Dinesh Trivedi breaks silence on PM Tarique Rahman’s proposed India visit
Iran-Israel
Israel PM's Office rejects New York Times report on alleged plot to kill Iranian negotiators. Photo: Benjamin Netanyahu/FB

'Complete fabrication': Netanyahu fires back at media report on alleged Iran assassination plot

| @indiablooms | Jul 04, 2026, at 01:07 pm

The Israeli government has rejected a media report claiming that Israel may have considered targeting Iran's senior negotiators while the United States was engaged in sensitive diplomatic talks with Tehran.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu dismissed the report as "fake news."

In a post on X, Netanyahu said: "As usual, The New York Times' latest story about Israel and the Iranian negotiators is fake news."

"It is a complete fabrication of reality," he added.

According to The New York Times, current and former U.S. officials said American authorities believed Israel might have been considering plans to assassinate two of Iran's top officials during negotiations aimed at securing an interim agreement with Tehran earlier this year.

The report said U.S. concerns centred on Abbas Araghchi and Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, whose potential targeting could have derailed the delicate diplomatic process.

According to the newspaper, killing senior Iranian leaders had been part of Israel's broader wartime strategy. However, American officials reportedly feared that any attempt to assassinate Araghchi or Ghalibaf during the negotiations, which began in April, would have collapsed the talks and reignited the conflict.

The report added that the United States asked several countries in the region to warn Iran about the possibility that the two senior officials could be targeted, in an effort to preserve the negotiations.

U.S. officials acknowledged, according to The New York Times, that during the height of the conflict the two Iranian leaders could have been viewed by Israel as legitimate wartime targets. However, once negotiations gained momentum, Washington reportedly believed any such action would jeopardise diplomatic efforts and escalate hostilities.

Israel has categorically denied the report, calling it an inaccurate account of events.

Support Our Journalism

We cannot do without you.. your contribution supports unbiased journalism

IBNS is not driven by any ism- not wokeism, not racism, not skewed secularism, not hyper right-wing or left liberal ideals, nor by any hardline religious beliefs or hyper nationalism. We want to serve you good old objective news, as they are. We do not judge or preach. We let people decide for themselves. We only try to present factual and well-sourced news.

Support objective journalism for a small contribution.